Reading and Writing
翻译:阅读与写作
1 Read the text below and then match the main ideas with the paragraphs.
翻译:1 阅读下面的文本,然后将主要观点与段落相匹配。
THE CHINESE SPRING FESTIVAL
翻译:中国春节
The Chinese Spring Festival is regarded as the most significant festival of the year among the Chinese.
翻译:春节被认为是中国人一年中最重要的节日。
It lasts for 15 days but Chinese people also consider the days of preparation beforehand as an important part of the Spring Festival.
翻译:它持续 15 天,但中国人也认为提前准备是春节的重要组成部分。
There are a number of things people usually do before the Chinese Spring Festival.
翻译:春节前人们通常会做很多事情。
One of these is cleaning the house for the Lunar New Year.
翻译:其中之一是为农历新年打扫房子。
Dust makes people think of old or outdated things.
翻译:灰尘让人想起旧的或过时的东西。
Therefore, sweeping dust out of the house is a way of saying goodbye to old things and welcoming new things.
翻译:因此,打扫房子的灰尘是告别旧事物、迎接新事物的一种方式。
Another important custom for families is to decorate their doors with red couplets.
翻译:家庭的另一个重要习俗是用红对联装饰他们的门。
The phrases on the couplets express hopes for a prosperous new year.
翻译:对联上的短语表达了对新年繁荣昌盛的希望。
In the southern part of China, people will buy fresh flowers or orange trees to decorate their homes.
翻译:在中国南方,人们会买鲜花或橘子树来装饰他们的家。
The most important custom of the Chinese Spring Festival is the big family dinner on the eve of the Lunar New Year.
翻译:中国春节最重要的习俗是农历新年前夕的大家庭聚餐。
This is usually a big reunion of grandparents, parents, and children.
翻译:这通常是祖父母、父母和孩子的团聚。
It reflects how important family is to Chinese people around the world.
翻译:这反映了家庭对世界各地的中国人有多重要。
That is why millions of Chinese people travel long distances to get home before the eve of the Lunar New Year.
翻译:这就是为什么数百万中国人在农历新年前夕长途跋涉回家。
Also, families typically eat certain types of lucky food at the family reunion dinner.
翻译:此外,家庭团聚晚餐通常会吃某些类型的幸运食品。
Eating fish, for example, is supposed to bring more wealth and prosperity than one needs, as the pronunciation of 'fish' in Chinese (yu) is also used for 'surplus'.
翻译:例如,吃鱼被认为会带来比一个人所需更多的财富和繁荣,因为“鱼”在中文(yu)的发音中也用于表示“盈余”。
When the New Year comes, there are many interesting festival activities.
翻译:新年到来时,有许多有趣的节日活动。
Adults give children 'lucky money' in red envelopes.
翻译:成年人给孩子们装在红包里的“压岁钱”。
People greet family and friends with 'Xinnian Hao' or 'Gongxi Facai' whenever they may meet.
翻译:每当家人和朋友见面时,人们都会用“新年好”或“恭喜发财”来问候他们。
Another part of this custom of sharing good wishes is to pay visits to relatives and bring them gifts.
翻译:这种分享美好祝愿的习俗的另一部分是拜访亲戚并给他们带礼物。
Commonly exchanged gifts include food such as fruit, sticky rice cakes, and homemade desserts.
翻译:通常交换的礼物包括水果、糯米糕和自制甜点等食物。
In addition, friends and family go out to enjoy loud and colourful fireworks, spend time at temple fairs, and watch exciting dragon and lion dances.
翻译:此外,朋友和家人外出欣赏喧闹多彩的烟花,在庙会上度过时光,观看激动人心的舞龙舞狮。
The Chinese Spring Festival symbolises a farewell to the old year and a warm welcome to the brand new year.
翻译:中国的春节象征着对旧年的告别和对崭新的一年的热烈欢迎。
More importantly, it is a special occasion to return home and gratefully reunite with family members.
翻译:更重要的是,这是一个回家与家人团聚的特殊时刻。
This deeply rooted tradition has been an integral part of Chinese culture for a very long time, and will continue to live forever in the hearts of the Chinese people.
翻译:长期以来,这一根深蒂固的传统一直是中国文化不可分割的一部分,并将永远活在中国人民的心中。
Reading and Writing
翻译:阅读与写作
1 Read the story and answer this question:
翻译:1 阅读故事并回答以下问题:
Why will the writer never forget the taxi ride?
翻译:为什么作者永远不会忘记乘坐出租车的经历?
THE TAXI RIDE I'LL NEVER FORGET
翻译:我永远不会忘记的出租车之旅
(adapted from the story of the same name by Kent Nerburn)
翻译: (改编自肯特·内伯恩的同名故事)
Twenty years ago, I drove a taxi.
翻译:二十年前,我开出租车。
One time, I was called at midnight to pick someone up.
翻译:有一次,我半夜被叫去接人。
When I arrived, the building was completely dark except for one light in a window.
翻译:当我到达时,除了窗户上的一盏灯外,整栋楼一片漆黑。
I walked to the door and knocked. After a long wait, the door opened.
翻译:我走到门口敲门。等了很久,门开了。
A small woman in her 80s stood before me.
翻译:一位 80 多岁的小个子女人站在我面前。
By her side was a small suitcase.
翻译:她身边有一个小行李箱。
'Would you carry my bag out to the car?' she said.
翻译: “你能帮我把包拿到车上吗?”她说。
I took her suitcase and gave her my arm. We walked slowly to the street.
翻译:我接过她的行李箱,伸出胳膊。我们慢慢地走到街上。
She kept thanking me for my kindness. 'It's nothing,' I told her.
翻译:她不停地感谢我的好意。 “没什么,”我告诉她,
'I try to treat my passengers how I want my mother treated.'
翻译:“我尽量以我希望我的母亲被对待的方式来对待我的乘客。”
'You're such a good boy,' she said.
翻译: “你真是个好孩子,”她说。
When we got in the taxi, she gave me an address.
翻译:当我们上车时,她给了我一个地址。
Then she asked, 'Could you drive through the downtown?'
翻译:然后她问:“你能开车穿过市中心吗?”
'It's not the shortest way,' I answered.
翻译: “这不是最短的路,”我回答。
'I don't mind,' she said.'
翻译: “我不介意,”她说,
I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice.'
翻译:“我不着急。我正在去临终关怀医院的路上。”
I saw her eyes shining with tears.
翻译: 我看见她的眼睛里闪着泪水。
'I don't have any family left,' she continued.
翻译: “我没有家人了,”她继续说,
'The doctor says I don't have very long.'
翻译:“医生说我活不了多久了。”
I quietly turned off the meter.
翻译: 我悄悄地关掉了计价器。
'What road do you want me to take?' I asked.
翻译:“你想让我走哪条路?”我问。
For hours, we drove through the city.
翻译: 这几个小时,我们开车穿过这座城市。
She showed me the building where she had once worked.
翻译:她给我看了她曾经工作过的那栋楼。
We drove through the neighbourhood where she and her husband had lived.
翻译:我们开车穿过她和她丈夫住过的街区。
Sometimes she asked me to just slow down while she sat staring into the darkness, saying nothing.
翻译:有时她让我慢下来,而她坐在那里盯着黑暗,什么也没说。
As the sun was coming up, she suddenly said, 'I'm tired. Let's go now.'
翻译: 太阳升起时,她突然说:“我累了。我们走吧。”
We drove in silence to the hospice.
翻译: 我们默默地开车去了临终关怀医院。
As we pulled up, two nurses were waiting for us.
翻译:当我们停车时,两名护士正在等我们。
They helped her into a wheelchair.
翻译:他们帮她坐上轮椅。
'How much do I owe you?' she asked me, reaching for her purse.
翻译: “我欠你多少钱?”她伸手去拿钱包,问我。
'Nothing,' I said. Without thinking, I leaned down and gave her a hug.
翻译: “不用钱,”我说。我不假思索地弯下腰,给了她一个拥抱。
She hugged me tightly.
翻译:她紧紧地拥抱了我。
'You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,' she said. 'Thank you.'
翻译:“你给了一位老妇人片刻的欢乐,”她说。“非常感谢。”
I squeezed her hand and then walked back to my taxi.
翻译:我捏了捏她的手,然后走回我的出租车。
For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk.
翻译:那天剩下的时间里,我几乎说不出话来。
I believe I have never done anything more important in my life.
翻译:我相信我这辈子从未做过比这更重要的事。
We usually think that our lives are defined by great moments.
翻译:我们通常认为我们的生活是由伟大的时刻决定的。
But I now realise that great moments catch us by surprise, because they often seem quite small.
翻译:但我现在意识到,伟大的时刻会让我们大吃一惊,因为它们往往看起来很小。
Reading and Writing
翻译:阅读与写作
1 Read the web page and fill in the blanks below.
翻译:1 阅读网页并填写以下空白处。
SYMBOLS OF AMERICAN CULTURE
翻译:美国文化的象征
Each country has its own unique culture, often represented by symbols, such as foods, sports, music, and clothes, which tell us something about it.
翻译:每个国家都有自己独特的文化,通常由象征来代表,例如食物、运动、音乐和衣服等,这些象征告诉我们一些关于它的事情。
When you think of America, what symbols come to your mind first?
翻译:当你想到美国时,你首先想到的是什么象征?
Perhaps one of the most famous symbols of the US is fast food.
翻译:也许美国最著名的象征之一就是快餐。
Fast-food restaurants became popular when people began driving cars around the country.
翻译:当人们开始在全国各地开车时,快餐店变得很受欢迎。
Many of the earliest fast-food restaurants were drive-ins where people ate in their cars while they were parked.
翻译:许多最早的快餐店都是免下车的,人们停在车里吃饭。
However, now drive-throughs have become popular because people need to keep up with the speed of modern life.
翻译:然而,现在免下车已经流行起来,因为人们需要跟上现代生活的速度。
With a drive-through, you can just drive up to a window, pick up the food, and then drive away.
翻译:有了免下车服务,你可以开车到窗户前,拿起食物,然后开车离开。
About 20% of all American meals are eaten in the car, and Americans spend about 10% of their income on fast food.
翻译:大约 20% 美国人的饭菜都是在车里吃的,美国人把大约 10% 的收入花在快餐上。
No wonder America is called the 'Fast-Food Nation'!
翻译:难怪美国被称为“快餐之国”!
When it comes to seeing a game in person, baseball is by far the most popular sport in America.
翻译:说到现场观看比赛,棒球无疑是美国最受欢迎的运动。
In a typical year, more people attend baseball games than football and basketball games combined.
翻译:在典型的一年中,观看棒球比赛的人数超过了足球和篮球比赛的总和。
And for most people, baseball is 'America's game' in a way that football and basketball are not, because it is a special symbol of the American spirit.
翻译:对大多数人来说,棒球以一种橄榄球和篮球所不具备的方式成为“美国的运动”,因为它是一种特殊的美国精神的象征。
For one thing, while baseball is a team sport, every player can be a hero or star.
翻译:一方面,虽然棒球是一项团队运动,但每个球员都可以成为英雄或明星。
Reading and Writing
翻译:阅读与写作
1 Read the text below and answer the questions.
翻译:1 阅读以下文本并回答问题。
HOMES ON MARS?
翻译:火星上的家园?
Some of the world's most important scientists think the idea of people living on Mars will come true one day.
翻译:世界上一些最重要的科学家认为,人类有一天会在火星上生活。
They believe humans must move into space to survive.
翻译:他们认为,为了生存,人类必须移居太空。
Robert Zubrin, a rocket scientist, thinks starting with Mars makes the most sense.
翻译:火箭科学家罗伯特·祖布林认为,从火星开始是最合理的。
He thinks sending people to Mars will allow us to learn a lot—for example, about the ability of humans to live in a very different environment.
翻译:他认为,将人类送往火星将使我们学到很多——例如,关于人类在截然不同的环境中生存的能力。
However, scientists will need to terraform Mars for people to be able to live.
翻译:然而,科学家需要改造火星以便人类能够生存。
Terraforming means changing the environment on a planet so that it is similar to Earth's.
翻译:改造意味着改变一个星球的环境,使其类似于地球的环境。
One of the main goals of terraforming Mars is to warm it up because the average temperature there is about -60℃.
翻译:改造火星的主要目标之一是使其变暖,因为那里的平均温度约为 -60℃ 。
One idea for warming Mars is to build factories there that produce greenhouse gases.
翻译:一种使火星变暖的想法是在那里建立生产温室气体的工厂。
This could take many centuries. However, it should lead to rainfall and the growth of plants, resulting in more air that people can breathe.
翻译:这可能需要几个世纪。然而,这应该会导致降雨和植物生长,从而产生更多可供人类呼吸的空气。
Another big concern for scientists is whether humans can move to Mars and still stay healthy in mind and body.
翻译:科学家们的另一个大担忧是人类能否移居火星并保持身心健康。
Reading and Writing
翻译:阅读与写作
1 Read the following scene from <i>The Million Pound Bank Note</i> and choose a phrase to summarise it.
翻译:1 阅读《百万英镑》中的场景,并选择一个短语进行总结。
THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE ACT 2, SCENE 3
翻译:百万英镑 第 2 幕,第 3 场
Henry and Portia fell in love.
翻译:亨利和波西娅相爱了。
Henry also met an old family friend who had money troubles.
翻译:亨利还遇到了一位有经济困难的老家族朋友。
His friend used Henry's name to get people to invest in his gold mine.
翻译:这位朋友利用亨利的名字让人们投资他的金矿。
This made Henry rich. A month has passed.
翻译:这使亨利变得富有。一个月过去了。
Knowing the two brothers were back, Henry dressed himself in the finest clothes and went to see them with Portia.
翻译:知道两个兄弟回来了,亨利穿上最漂亮的衣服,带着波西娅去见他们。
(<i>At the brothers'home, the servant lets them in. The two brothers are seated, waiting.</i>)
翻译:(在兄弟俩的家中,仆人让他们进来了。两兄弟坐着,等待着。)
Good morning, gentlemen.
翻译:早上好,先生们。
(<i>Roderick seems very surprised to see Portia.</i>) Portia, these are the men who helped me.
翻译:(罗德里克看到波西亚时显得非常惊讶。)波西亚,这些都是帮助我的人。
So very nice to meet you, kind sirs. (<i>She gives Oliver a wink.</i>)
翻译:很高兴见到你们,亲爱的先生们。(她向奥利弗眨了眨眼。)
Gentlemen, I'm ready to report.
翻译:先生们,我准备报告了。
Er ... Portia, I ...
翻译:呃⋯⋯波西亚,我⋯⋯
Now we can decide the result of the bet which Roderick and I made.
翻译:现在我们可以决定罗德里克和我打赌的结果了。
If you've won for me, you shall have any job as my gift.
翻译:如果你为我赢了,作为我的礼物你可以得到任何工作。
Have you got the million-pound bank note?
翻译:你有那张百万英镑的钞票吗?
Here it is, sir.
翻译:在这里,先生。
I've won! Now what do you say, Roderick?
翻译:我赢了!罗德里克,你说呢?
I say that I've lost twenty thousand pounds. Why, that is amazing, man!
翻译:我说我输了两万英镑。天哪,这太令人惊讶了!
Come, let's be going now, Portia.
翻译:来吧,我们走吧,波西亚。
But wait, wait! The job, you know.
翻译:但是等等,等等!你知道,这份工作。
I ought to give you a job, as I promised.
翻译:我应该给你一份工作,正如我承诺的那样。
Well, thank you very much, but I really don't want one now.
翻译:好吧,非常感谢,但我现在真的不想要。
Henry, I'm disappointed in you. You didn't thank the gentlemen properly.
翻译:亨利,我对你很失望。你没有好好感谢那些先生们。
May I do it for you?
翻译:让我替你做吧?
Let me see you try.
翻译:让我看看你试着做一次。